A Brief History of Euless, TX
Euless, Texas has grown exponentially since its humble beginnings as a tract of land belonging to a single settler by the name of Elisha Adam Euless. This pioneering settler purchased 170 acres of land that would one day become Euless, TX in March of 1879. He quickly began to develop the area by building a home and a cotton gin.
In April of 1879, he convinced the local county commissioners to build a road connecting his property to Bedford and the Dallas county line near Bear Creek. A town grew up around his property and the townspeople decided to name it in his honor because of his popularity and successful cotton gin.
Who was Elisha Adam Euless?
Euless was a native of Tennessee. His family members were some of the first pioneers of that area as even his grandfather was born in Tennessee in the year 1818. After he finished his modest schooling, he moved first to Tarrant County where he served as a constable and then a bit further southwest to form his own property in what would one day become a flourishing town.
In 1870 Euless married Julia Trigg and throughout their happy marriage, and they had four children. Politically he always leaned toward the Democratic Party, voting for Horace Greely in 1872 for his first presidential election. He was a very respectable man whom many people admired, and he achieved great success both in farming and in politics.
Later Life in Euless, TX
Adam Euless farmed for most of his life but then made a return to politics later, beating out several worthy opponents to become the county sheriff in 1892. He had tried once before to secure the nomination to run for sheriff, but was undeterred by that loss in 1880 and even helped the campaign of his nominated opponent. He moved to Fort Worth where he served two terms as the sheriff before health problems forced him to step down in 1896. Unfortunately, in 1911 he suffered a debilitating stroke and was unable to recover. He is currently buried in a cemetery in Fort Worth, Texas.
The Town’s History Today
Even to this day, Euless, TX is a very historic town. The people are passionate about preserving their history through the conservation of several important buildings dating back to the beginning of the town. The Fuller House, which was the first brick house in the city, has now been converted into a museum. The Himes Log Cabin is a home that dates back to the 1850’s that has been restored. Finally, the McCormick Barn has also been restored, and it was made from lumber from Camp Bowie after the first World War.
These buildings can all be toured at Heritage Park. The city offers free tours on the second Saturday of every month. No visit to the town is complete without a stroll through Heritage Park. The restoration of these historic buildings reminds Euless, TX of its past while still allowing it to move toward the future.