The History of Pflugerville, TX
The Beginnings of Pflugerville, TX
In 1860 the town of Pflugerville, TX was founded by William Bohls, where he established a post office and general store in his home. He named the town in honor of Henry Pfluger, who settled in the area around 1849 when he fled his German homeland due to war. Henry lived in a log cabin, on a farm, with his family. Here he raised corn, rye, wheat, beans, sugar cane, sweet potatoes, and cattle.
When the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad came to Pflugerville, TX in 1904 the town began to grow quickly. The history of the town was central to the inception of the railroad here. Prosperity was flowing as one of the sons of Henry built two cotton gins. The building of these gins spurred on new businesses, such as the ice factory, the newspaper and the motion picture theater. The railroad also prompted population growth that almost doubled from 250 to 500, in the ten years from when the railroad began running. During this period a church and an elementary school were built to accommodate the population.
African American’s History in the Town
The history of Pflugerville wouldn’t be complete without mention of the many black workers who worked in the ice factory and cotton gins. The black population was not allowed to live in the city proper. A farmer that lived outside the city limits set aside plots of land that were sold to the workers, and this soon became known as the town’s Colored Addition. The black community built two churches and a cemetery for the burial of Mexican and African Americans. An elementary school was added in 1928, which was moved during desegregation to the Pflugerville elementary in 1959. The county commission has tried, unsuccessfully, to change the name of the province from Colored Addition to Western Addition, but the residents won’t allow the change.
Population Growth Through the Years
During the Great Depression, the town saw a marked decline in population as residents moved to the bigger cities to find work. Through WWII, the population continued to decrease, and by 1949 there were only 380 residents in the city. The next population boom in the history of Pflugerville began in the 1960’s. In 1965 the city was incorporated and established a commission form of government. By 1980 the population had grown to over 600 residents. In the 1980’s the city was one of the fastest growing in the state of Texas. Today the population is over 46,000 residents.
Pflugerville is located 14 miles north of Austin and 15 miles north of the Colorado River. The city has one lake by the name of Lake Pflugerville that was created in 2005 as a reservoir and recreation center for the city. There are also two creeks that serve this reservoir, Wilbarger and Gilleland Creek.
Modern Day Pflugerville, TX
As a thriving suburb of Austin, residents and newcomers alike, come to Pflugerville to work and to live. Even with the tremendous growth that has occurred through the years, the history of Pflugerville has enriched the town and allowed it to keep its small-town atmosphere.